Thursday 8 December 2011

INTERVIEW

Here is my article research for my double page spread. I carried out an interview with the band Guardians. I chose 20 questions to ask them about various aspects of their life as the Guardians.

Here are the Questions I originally chose to ask them:


1.      Tell me about when you first got together?
       2.      How long have you been together?
      3.      Where did you play your first gig and how did it feel?
      4.      Do you write your own songs?
       5.      What/who first inspired you all to start a band?
       6.      How  was it being in a recording studio for the first time?
       7.      Who is the bossiest?
       8.      Where can you see yourselves in five years time?
       9.      Do you have any strange warm-ups before you play a gig?
       10.  What one word would you use to describe your band?
       11.  Who is the biggest flirt with the girls?
       12.  What are the plans for the future?
       13.  What is the biggest misconception of new bands like yourselves of today?
       14.  What made you decide to change the name of your band?
       15.  What is your most embarrassing experience since being in Guardians?
       16.  What advice would you give to fellow bands?
       17.  How does music affect the world around you?
       18.  What are the biggest misconseptions of bands on the Wirral?
       19.  What’s the best and worst thing about playing gigs?

When arranging the interview I contacted one of the band member, Sean Mcminn-Davies, over facebook.

I asked specific questions which relate to the Guardians for example I asked about their recent name change for the band. When I had completed my interview and wrote it all up, the length of the interview was over 5 pages. I had to edit it down so that it would fit onto 3 pages of my double page spread. Here is my final draft of my interview.

Can you tell me how you first got together?
Craig: I wanted to start a band really, I emailed Mike, told Brad, and got Sean and it just all came together
Sean: me and Craig were in a band before this, but then Guardians just came together.
How long have you been together?
Craig: 6 long
Brad: no five
Craig: yea five long years
Where was your first ever gig?
Brad: Claire Mount Church
How was it?
Brad: it was really good
Craig: you actually weren’t there
(Sean bursts out laughing)
Craig: he wasn’t in the band yet but yea it was brilliant
Brad: I joined a few months after
How old were you then?
Brad: I was 13
Craig: 14, we were 14
And you write all of your own songs, do you do any covers?
Sean: say if we’re doing a gig at a pub, people want to hear songs that they know, but at the same time we want people to hear our own stuff so we try and equal it, nights like tonight, when we have lots of fans here we’ll do our own stuff
Who has influenced you the most as a band?
Brad: on the whole we’d say Biffy Clyro, Lost Prophets..
Craig: The Blackout
Brad: each one of us have our own sort of taste in music, but it all comes together really well, a cliché but its true
How did you find recording for the first time in a real studio?
Craig: I thought it was great
Sean: best few days I’ve ever had it was so good
So I guess that was when it all felt really real?
Sean: yea it was such a buzz
Brad: the fact that it was in London as well
All agreed
Sean: it could have been the same studio somewhere else but the fact that it was in London made it feel a bit more real
So being honest, who’s the bossiest?
All point at Craig
Craig: it’s not me, as if I’m the bossiest, it’s Brad, god
All laugh
Brad: Craig always gets in a mood
So do you make all of the decisions?
Brad: all of us really
Sean: when it comes to big decisions we always make sure we all have a big say in it
Where can you see yourselves in 5 year time?
Craig: headlining a world tour, no I don’t know
Sean (serious): we never formed a band to get big, but you do think that it would be great if someone could hear you, then you could get the nation and the world to hear your music, I think that’s the main thing
Brad: a big part of it was seeing how we progress, as a band and as musicians ourselves, because who knows, in the next five years we could be playing folk
Band agrees & laughs
Your music was first indie, and has now progressed to rock?
Brad: yea it’s all about progression
So do any of you have any strange warm up rituals we need to know about?
Brad laughs: we actually sing Britney spears
Sean: we do a group huddle before every gig and then most of the time we’ll do a Britney spears hit
Craig: yea hit me baby one more time
I guess that’s quite normal to some warm up rituals?
Sean: it definitely could be worse
Brad: mike gets foot massages
All laugh and agree
Craig: he’s oblivious
Band tease mike and laugh
Brad: wake up mate
Mike: what
Craig: so nothing out of the ordinary
So who’s the biggest flirt?
Brad: oh no
Craig: don’t even say it’s me
Craig: that’s not a very good question (hiding in shame)
Sean: who is the biggest flirt though?
Mike: Sean
Brad: Sean? I’m the only one who’s single though
Craig: yea actually three of us have girlfriends
Sean: bachelor number one
So is it all left to brad then?
Craig: Bradleyyyy (teases’ brad)
Brad: all these women I’ve never had
What would you say is the biggest misconception of new bands around here?
Craig: define misconception
All laugh
Sean: it’s what people... kind of what people...
Craig: everyone around here is indie, and we’ve always tried to keep a rock element
Sean: the musicians in bands around here have been playing for a really long time so surprisingly there is a big bunch of experienced musicians in this area, were really lucky to be here, with Liverpool just on the doorstep, it’s such a good place to be in a band
Why did you decide to change the name of your band?
Brad: I think it was a natural progression
Sean: The name suited us back in the day
Craig: (jokes) back in the good old days
Sean: it was good for when we were 14/15 but when you get to an adult age we thought we kind of needed to change the name
Brad: we’d turn up to places and people were always expecting bearded men, and then we turn up and it’s like woahh “I wasn’t expecting that”
Sean: there have been a few times in the past when we’d thought about changing the name, and not all four of us had thought it sounded good, and then just all of a sudden someone suggested guardians and we were all like yea, that was the right time
What is the most embarrassing experience you have had so far whilst being in the band?
Brad: personally or as a band?
Craig: haha you fell of your amp (to brad)
Brad: (embarrassed) yea we were playing Vale Park, I got on top of my amp, thought I was really cool and then I fell, was lying on the floor for about five minutes until I got back up
Craig: flat on his ass
Did you carry on playing?
Brad: oh yea yea (laughs)
Craig: he played on the floor
Sean lets out a high pitched laugh
Brad: I’ve had my t shirt ripped off before
Sean: that was just scary                                    
Brad: it was quite embarrassing; I thought I was going to die!
Brad: hey what about when you climbed the academy speakers
Craig claps his hand together in remembrance
Sean: it was a really sick gig, and basically we blew it, (laughing)
Craig: no you blew it
Sean: I tried to climb this pa amp and I just got stuck
Mike: I found that funny
Sean: you just found it funny that I was scare
Craig: we fall over a lot
All laugh in agreement                                            
What advice would you give to fellow bands like yourselves?
Sean: keep going        
Brad: practice practice practice
Craig: and gig whenever you can no matter where it is
Brad: you’ve got to be very committed to it as well
All agree with brad
Sean: there are times when it is hard, but then there are some incredible times; don’t think about the hard times, just keep going
Craig: great advice Sean
Sean: I’m going to cry
Sean laughs to himself
How does being in a band affect everything else, for example work?
Mike: you can’t get a job
Craig: hard, because you never know when you’re going to play, and playing doesn’t really pay much at the moment so were almost working for free for ourselves
What is the best and worst thing about playing gigs?
Mike: the atmosphere, when you’re on stage you get that massive adrenalin rush, the worst thing is setting up, carrying all the shit
Brad: the best thing is being able to play the songs that you write, there is nothing better than working on a song for that long and being able to express it to people, worst thing…
Craig: you have to stand next to me
Brad: yea sure couldn’t think of anything better
Craig: the reaction from the crowd, worst thing is not eating much
Sean: the best thing is that it feels so good getting the crowd to respond to your music, worst thing to copy mike really is packing up, but you get it done because you know the gig is going to be worth it

No comments:

Post a Comment